What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ragspix Senior Member • Posts: 1,028
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

jfriend00 wrote:

ZinMe wrote:

You can pick up a two stop ISO improvement, and get more focal length flexibility by getting the following:

D7100 (+1 stop better than D300)

Trade your 200-400 for a 300mm f2.8 VR (1 stop better than the 200-400- maybe more if you look at t-stops)

Use a 70-200mm for shorter ranges (again f2.8 is really helpful.)

Use an 85mm f1.8 (or 1.4) indoors (basketball / volleyball) which is great.

Use a 1.4 TC to get an effective 600mm+ focal length with the 300mm VR- usable in good light.

I currently shoot a D300 with the above lens combinations for sports, and every time I do the math on the "upgrade" to FX, I give up a stop on the lens choices because I'm not willing to buy (and lug around) a 400mm f2.8. I've been waiting for a D400, but it appears I will have to decide whether to accept one of Nikons artificially de-featured DSLRs (why can't they give us best AF, good buffer and a good sensor for $2,000 like they did with the D300?)

Don't get me wrong, a D3S + 200-400mm is going to be better in low light than what I suggest above, but the affordable and highly effective and portable lens combinations for sports in my opinion are worth considering in addition to the sensor advantage of FX for sports.

I know I'll get blistered on this forum, but there it is. Some samples mostly with the 300VR:

I hear you on the lack of a D400. I'm not sure why Nikon is avoiding that. They are also avoiding a D750 (FX speed camera).

I can't change lenses during the action so it sounds like you're suggesting I just shoot with D7100 and 300mm f/2.8. The issues with that are:

1) You're asking me to spend $5800 on the 300 f/2.8

2) The D7100 is only 6fps and has a pretty small buffer

3) Shooting with a prime instead of the zoom significantly compromises how much of the soccer field I can cover.

I think I'd rather spend less money on a used D3s with my 200-400 and not have any of these issues.

-- hide signature --

My kit is a 300S (not acceptable over 800iso) and a 700 (not acceptable over 1600 iso)

I use two bodies in dirty conditions no lens change and the 700 in low light.

Usually load the 300 3.8 on the 300S for long and the 70/200 on the 700 (I have the MB10)

I would like a little more resolution and better noise control.

Nikon hasn't made a dslr cam for me yet and I'm at the point where I probably wouldn't get it

What I need is a EVF small cam with a silent shutter that can shoot motion, that I will buy.

Last Thursday I was in Tijuana trying to shoot prostitutes on the street with a d700 and a 24/70.... I couldn't sneak a shot... Duh.... It was embarrassing...

If you shoot soccer consider the two body approach (similar controls or you'll go nutz), it works for me in Polo

Rags

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow