best external monitor for retina macbook?

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 12,796
Re: Cable advice please

qianp2k wrote:

I know it's an old thread but it's what I found from search. I bought MacBook Pro 13" with retina display recently, and just ordered Dell U2713H monitor from B&H that will get by weekend. I need an advice what's the right cable to connect MacBook Pro to the Dell monitor to fully leverage its resolution and color space without degradation, a Displayport to Thunderbolt cable? Anyone can recommend such cable? I called B&H and Dell and they told me different choices.

Dell's site says that this monitor has four video inputs: dual-link DVI-D, DisplayPort, HDMI, and VGA. Of these, DisplayPort is the best choice.

As far as I know, all you need is an inexpensive MiniDisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable.  Thunderbolt ports use a connector that is physically identical to the MiniDisplayPort one, and since the Dell site did not say that the monitor's DisplayPort is "Mini", I am assuming that it is full-size.

Limitations:  If you attach a DisplayPort monitor or adapter to a Thunderbolt port/chain, it must be the only monitor or adapter on the chain, and it must go at the end of the chain.  If you want to add a second external monitor, use the other Thunderbolt port or the HDMI port…

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow