LF1 owners, your comments, please

Started Nov 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP GeraldW Veteran Member • Posts: 7,744
Re: LF1 owners, your comments, please

Thanks for posting that.  I read through the thread the link goes to, and it brings up an interesting point.  You've never wanted more than 200 mm.  That pretty well fits with my travel experience going back to the 80's. (unless there's a bird sanctuary on the itinerary)  It also reminded me that the first Panasonic travel zooms only went to 300 mm.  Then, they began to creep up in focal length, and get wider, and as they did, the lens got slower and slower.  As if they forgot why they did 25-300 mm in the first place.

Now, along comes the LF1.  And it returns to a more sensible range for a better lens design, adds in a larger modern sensor and processor algorithms, and adds an EVF.  Voila! The ultimate pocketable travel zoom.

On our China trip in 2006, I took a Canon Pro 1 and an S70.  The Pro 1 has a 28-200 mm f/2.4-3.5 L series lens.  Hardly pocketable, as it weighs 23.9 oz.  But the focal length range was fine.

I also currently have a Canon G15.  28-140 mm f/1.8-2.8.  Great little camera; but 140 isn't quite long enough, so i find myself resorting to DZ more often than I should.  The FZ200 actually works better for many trips.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow