GX7 RAW conversion by Aperture 3.5.1 = MUSH

Started Nov 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
matyst New Member • Posts: 20
GX7 RAW conversion by Aperture 3.5.1 = MUSH

I have recently bought GX7 and I am quite impressed with the camera.

I was close to returning it however after basing my initial impression on the images converted from RAW in Aperture 3.5.1 with the newest OSX RAW 5.01 before realising there must be a bug in GX7 RAW processing algorithm by Aperture. Basically, it turns any image shot at ISO higher than base ISO 200 into complete mush.

See the images below for example (sorry the subject is not very interesting, basically fragments of a garden shed that needs painting, and of a fence). Every column contains the same image shown as the out of camera JPEG (all default settings) and output from Aperture (AP3) and Lightroom 5 (LR5) for comparison (both RAW converters at default settings). Note that the file converted in Aperture taken at ISO 200 looks ok; in comparison files taken at ISO 400 and 800 are completely blurred by Aperture algorithm with shocking loss of detail. Interestingly, ISO 400 images appear more affected than ISO 800.

The same images converted to JPG by the camera (upper row) or by LR5 (lower row) show preservation of detail as ISO increases. As expected there is some increase in noise in LR5-processed images (NR=0 in all of them) but details are there. JPGs produced in the camera have some noise reduction applied but there is minor loss of detail only, far cry from what Aperture does to these files.

Keep in mind that this is the same file in every column, just processed in a different way (by the camera, Aperture, or Lightroom) so other details of exposure, lens etc. are irrelevant here. All RAW fine tuning settings in Aperture were set a default (Boost 1, Hue Boost 1, sharpening 0.5, detail 0.0, moire 0.0, radius 4.0, de-noise 0.1) and changing those does not have any significant effect on the degree of this mushiness.

It looks like there is some bug, perhaps introducing disproportionate, crazy amount of noise reduction at ISOs above the base value. I hope this will be quickly resolved by Apple as I do not fancy switching to LR5. I have reported this issue to them.

BTW GX7 files processed in LR5 hold up quite well in comparison to Canon 5D Mark III with 1/2-1 stop difference, quite amazing giving the sensor size is only a quarter of full frame.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow