Ask Adobe for better X-trans convertions

Started Nov 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 25,553
Re: Surprise! Adobe actually has got the same OOC JPEG X-trans conversion

Thanks, Albert: Also, ACR and ID are able to read the lens metadata embedded in the RAF files. So the output is rendered exactly as the OOC JPEGs in terms of distortion correction. I was surprised by this, as the last official version of ACR does not read the lens metadata to correct for lens distortion. This surprises me too, but good to know. Man, you are a wealth of good information!

a l b e r t wrote:

This is very useful information - another good useful breakdown of the strengths and weaknesses of each converter.

Your comments on PN noise reduction magic, and shadow/highlights strengths, are particularly interesting to me - plus your comment in another thread about XE2 vs XE1, or 14 vs 12 bit RAW files.

Any comments on color? I found C1 colors much richer than Adobe.

Is PN a resource hog. I don't have the latest quad cores, just a 2.4 i5 Dual Core.

The color on ACR is more muted, I'd need about 10-15 boost in saturation in order to bring that inline with OOC JPEG or with other RAW converters.

In addition, red is rendered correctly with ACR and C1 Pro 7. Both PN and ID rendered orange red like candy apple red. You'll need to play with Adobe DNG profile for ID and adjust the tint slider a bit to get the correct red.

The program that takes the longest time to load is C1 Pro 7. ID is available on Mac only and is the fastest program to load. PN is a close second. ACR is third and C1 Pro 7 the last. This is on a Quad core i7 iMac 27" with 24GB of RAM.

Also, ACR and ID are able to read the lens metadata embedded in the RAF files. So the output is rendered exactly as the OOC JPEGs in terms of distortion correction. I was surprised by this, as the last official version of ACR does not read the lens metadata to correct for lens distortion.

Out of all 4, ACR is the only converter that does the same demosacis algorithm as the in camera one and also corrects lens distortion. There does not seem to be an option to disable the latter.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D810 Nikon D5500 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow