What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
DesertLefty Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

jfriend00 wrote:

DesertLefty wrote:

Over 90% of your shots are gonna end up on cutting room floor anyhow. So, who cares if the camera missed a few more because the frame rate was little slower or the AF sensor was lame.

Are you joking here. I care about frame rate and AF. I'm guessing you don't shoot a lot of action yourself or you wouldn't be making these statements. AF is the single most important aspect of a camera when shooting action. An out-of-focus shot is worthless - an out-of-focus sequence is maddening. And, I know the difference between 4fps and 8fps - it's significant for the way I shoot certain types of action sequences.

As you said, nobody's paying you to do this. They'll be thrilled beyond belief with the quality of your work. You're the only one who will know that the camera missed a few shots. And if YOU really care that much, then pony up for the D4. Over and out! Lefty

You make it sound like because I'm not making money on this, I don't care about the quality of my work. Sorry, Charlie - that's just not the case. A D4 might be nice, but it's not required to shoot action so I'm investigating the options that are much more efficient with my money.

John,

Sorry that you missed my point. Maybe my tone wasn't quite right.

I've been watching your galleries for a long time now. You're an outstandingly good photographer. Way better than I am.

My point was that because this isn't a commercial assignment, only YOU can decide the appropriate balance between quality and cost.

Yes, it is frustrating when the camera misses shot, but that's the nature of action sports. What's your keeper rate for soccer? Would it really make a difference if it was 5% lower? At the end of the day, a photographer like you is gonna walk away with a lot of great shots.

P.S. If you haven't tried out a D7100 yet, I suggest that you consider it. It is a very good camera that has almost everything you're looking for.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow