What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
alan54g Regular Member • Posts: 469
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

DesertLefty wrote:

jfriend00 wrote:

I'm only considering options that get me 8fps so that rules out D7000, D7100, D600, D610 and D800. I rented a D800 last season for a couple games and did not find it to be a good solution for me.

By fixating on just one dimension of camera performance (frame rate), you're making it hard to find a balanced solution - especially if price is a consideration.

The sensors on the D700 and D3 are just too old. By choosing either of them you will deny yourself the chance to take advantage of some really big improvements that have been made in last 6 years. Since better high-ISO performance is driving factor here, don't put the cart before the horse.

If you really MUST have 8 fps plus noise-free high ISO plus fast AF, then your only choices are the D3s or D4. So, get out your credit card. In my opinion, you might as well get the D4 so that you'll have a few extra MP for cropping, but some people who've used both prefer the D3s.

If, on the other hand, you can give a little bit on frame rate, then you'll have more choices.

Why heck! If one you guys would buy me a Df, I'll bet I could even make that work! Plus it'd be a lot nicer for backpacking and family events than a D3s.

Over 90% of your shots are gonna end up on cutting room floor anyhow. So, who cares if the camera missed a few more because the frame rate was little slower or the AF sensor was lame. As you said, nobody's paying you to do this. They'll be thrilled beyond belief with the quality of your work. You're the only one who will know that the camera missed a few shots. And if YOU really care that much, then pony up for the D4. Over and out! Lefty

Well I couldn't agree more with DesertLefty. The pro's shoot hundreds of shots and only 1 or a few get printed.

I told you last night what I thought and my comment got stripped. So one must be careful on being truthful. You are all over the map with your wants and needs but you won't listen to anyone or put the money out.

Good luck shooter.

alan54g's gear list:alan54g's gear list
Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow