I used the SZ-30MR for 2 Years.

Started Nov 15, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Henry Falkner
Henry Falkner Forum Pro • Posts: 13,938
I used the SZ-30MR for 2 Years.

The main advantage is the 16 MP BSI CMOS sensor, as compared against the CCD in my Stylus 9010. Video allows 2 full-resolution stills in each clip, I used that a lot. Moon shots and flying gannets show better detail and fewer artifacts than similar shots on my SP-570UZ bridge camera do. The SZ-30MR quickly replaced both the SP-570UZ and the Stylus 9010 for all jobs except those with external bounce flash, since it does 24x zoom in a pocket P&S format. The built-in LED flash proved brighter than expected, and as a fill-in it served well particularly for interiors and group shots.

The SZ-30MR does have a badly placed mode dial that turns far too easily, and the button layout at the back does induce unintended operations - I want to start a video, but I hit the display button instead. I also needed to learn the SCENE mode functions, to work around the lack of manual settings.

-- hide signature --

http://upload.pbase.com/image/138702566.jpg
Henry Falkner - SH-50, SZ-30MR, SP-570UZ, Stylus 9010
http://www.pbase.com/hfalkner

Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Olympus SZ-30MR
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 25 – 600 mm (24×)
Announced: Mar 2, 2011
Henry Falkner's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
great
Action / sports
good
Landscapes / scenery
acceptable
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Olympus SH-50 Olympus SZ-30MR
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow