What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

I love the D3S that I purchased mainly for my wife as a higher-ISO capable replacement for the D300S (and it delivers there in spades). As the sports shooter in the family, I also wanted it over say a D700 for the slightly faster frame rate and larger buffer. However, my own and only gripe with the camera relative to the D300S w/grip, D700 w/grip, or D4 is the loss of the joystick on the vertical shooting grip. Changing focus points on the D3S while using the vertical grip is awkward at best. I've tried to get used to using the scroll wheels plus the function button for this task but too often I screw that up and revert back to the awkward thumb reach to the four-way controller. If you can in any way manage to spring for the D4 (which has a joystick on the grip), it's worth it for that reason alone, assuming you shoot a lot of verticals, like using the grip, and use off-center AF points.

At the time I bought the used D3S, only new D4s were available at $6000. If I had an option for a used one at $4500 at the time, I would have bought it.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow