What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
DesertLefty Regular Member • Posts: 355
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

jfriend00 wrote:

I own a D300 now and it suits my needs when the light is good... But, I need ... ISO 1600 and above... So, I'm trying to figure out what to get to tide me over until a new action camera does come out. As none of the options available new are ideal for what I shoot, I will only buy used so as to not lose as much money when the actual camera I want becomes available and want to trade up.

The D700 is a wonderful camera, but its sensor is just as old as your D300 (albeit bigger).

If you like the reach of DX, consider getting a D7100. You will find the sensor to be DRAMATICALLY better than your D300 in low light and maybe even a little better in bright light (greater dynamic range). You'll give up some frame rate, but you'll still have the 51-point "pro" AF system and you'll still have the reach of a DX sensor. Plus it's cheap enough that you can buy new.

If you really want FX, get a used D600 and a cleaning kit. I paid $1200 for mine (with 92 clicks). You'll get even better color and lowlight performance plus the "pop" of FX, but you'll cuss the tiny spread on the 39-point AF system every time you use it. However, you're experienced enough to work around the limitations in the tool. And it's not forever. So, consider it a challenge. Here's a sample from mine:

D600 + 70-200mm VR-II + TC-17

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow