What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,899
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

billslatteryjr wrote:

I was playing the same waiting game you are. Waiting on a fast 24mp+ camera. But lately I'm shooting too many games to wait any longer and sold my D7100, bought a used D4 and hang a D800 around my neck as a second. Like you said the D800 is rough for sports. If you're shooting RAW the fps makes for missed shots and the buffer gets full too fast. But after the luxury of being able to crop so much with the D800, there was no way I was going all the way back to 12mp. I came very close to picking up a new D610 while I waited on Nikon and think you may want to reconsider doing the same. 6fps isn't all that bad. It's a lot faster than 4fps than 10fps is to 8fps when it comes to capturing the right moment. Of course the buffer isn't there like on a pro camera.

Right now a good used price for a D4 is around $4500. A year from now when the D5 or whatever comes out the D4 will be down to what? Maybe $4000, not $3500? How much different will the depreciation on a D4 be compared to the depreciation on the cameras you mentioned? Is it worth it to you to give up using the best sports camera out there to save a few hundred dollars over the next year or so? Anyway that's how I talked myself into a D4.

It's hard to predict the depreciation of the D4.  The D3 depreciated a lot the moment the D3s came out because the high ISO performance of the D3s was so much better and you can still see a significant difference in the used price between D3 and D3s.

If Nikon did something similar with a D4s or a D5, that could really knock the D4 down all at once. So, because it costs so much more, it simply has a higher depreciation risk.  That is countered by the fact that it's made to last a long time, but I don't think I want to put that much money into a camera that isn't ideal for me.  If it was 24MP, I could probably talk myself into it because I would just figure I could own it for a very long time and not want something new for that time.  But, at 16MP in FX, that's a loss of reach from my 12MP D300 which is important for some of the things I shoot and, in FX, I would find myself wanting more than 16MP.

I might rent one just so see what it's like, but right now I don't think I could talk myself into it.

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow