What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

I'm partial to the d3s, simply because of the noise performance that allows you to use high ISO's that won't work well on the others.

If you are planning to use the 200-400 naked, willingly giving up the DX crop factor, the d700 w/grip and d3 battery would probably do okay for you. Of course, the d3 has a performance edge over the d700. Whether or not that would be significant for your use, I don't know.

But, if you are planning to retain the DX crop factor by using a 1.4x TC, the d3s is the best option, IMO. Yes, you lose a stop of ISO with the TC, but still have approx .5 stop or more of high ISO performance that is better than the d3/d700.

The TC can introduce focus errors in the lower light, lower contrast scenes, but again the d3s handles that better than the d700/d300 do, IME.

Prior to making a purchase, I'd suggest renting your body of choice for a week, especially the d3s, just to see if it will do what you expect it to do.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow