What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,511
Re: Renting

jfriend00 wrote:

Nobody is paying my expenses. I'm choosing to get something better than my D300 for low light and trying to balance what I get with what I spend to get it (e.g. be efficient with the money).

Renting a D700 for 3 months would cost ~$600. Renting a D3s would cost $1300. Renting a D4 would cost $1700.

-- hide signature --

I own both a D700 and a D3s, the latter of which I bought used about a year ago for the mid $3k range. There is enough of a difference between the two sensors that the D3S is worth the extra money, if you can afford it. But the reality is both cameras have depreciated since I started typing this.
Apologies, but I didn't check to see if you're making $ with your gear and therefore deducting the depreciation etc. -- or the expense of the rental cost.

Given the choice, I'd go with the D3S or save up for the D4. I suspect the Df, combined with natural depreciation will force the price/demand of both cameras down a touch (case in point, me. If the Df had been out, I wouldn't have bought the D3s I now own and a friend who bought the D4 for a backpacking trip is now contemplating a Df as well).

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Panasonic LX100 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow