What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
yray
yray Senior Member • Posts: 1,739
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Rent them or borrow them and try them out. I doubt you would get a noticeably better AF with the D3 than with the D700 (at least with the grip on for extra power), I don't see much if any improvement in D3s over D700 as far as AF goes. IMO, D700 AF is pretty much as good as they get already. So, I would rule the D3 out unless you're attracted to the full-sized bodies.

As far as the reach, I doubt 16MP D4 would have a dramatic advantage over any of those you mentioned. Also, not sure what you call twilight. In my experience twilight doesn't last long, certainly not a whole game duration. And when it gets dark, with high-school type stadium lighting, you will likely want an f/2.8 lens even on a D3s. I personally shot a game once which started under bright and clear sunset, so I used a TC which made my lens an f/4, and then took my chances and left the TC on for the second half of the game as well. By the midpoint of the second half I could hardly get any shots with manageable noise levels. Since then, I have always taken the TC off at halftime. This is something to keep in mind if you plan to use the 200-400.

IMO, 400mm on a 12MP FF, depending on the light quality of course, gives you good reach within 1/3 of the soccer field, and a so-so reach between about 1/3 and 1/2. By so-so I mean that you can, for instance, reach across the width of the field in good light and get a decent shot, but probably not with a so-so light. On the other hand, a 300mm on a 12MP FF, will give you good reach within about 1/4 of the field and so-so between 1/4 and 1/3. These are approximations of course, but there is a very tangible difference between 300 and 400mm. Unfortunately, 400mm f/2.8 is entirely out of my budget, not to mention that I strongly prefer zooms for sports.

And again, coming to the issue of twilight. Since I don't know your conditions and they might be better than I imagine, if you could stay within say ISO 3200, I would say don't bother with the D3s, you won't see much of a difference. Going into ISO 6400 - 12800 range might be a little different, but even then you should probably see the difference for yourself before you invest a fortune. And, as a side note, if you take the D700 grip off, it becomes relatively portable, while you can't say the same about D3s.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow