What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

Started Nov 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Greenduck
Greenduck Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: What to buy for shooting action that doesn't cost as much as a D4?

The cameras you mention will all do a great job at what you need. However, the D700 might have some limitations regarding speed and AF. You could add a battery grip for 8 FPS. I just came from a D700 to a D3. I was very impressed with the D700 but I do feel the D3 locks focus faster and just gets it right every single time. I haven't done any scientific tests so it might be wish thinking.

If you're gonna shot at ISO 3200 or above the D3s might be the better camera. However it is more expensive and the D3 still produces very usable high ISO images. My take is that even though the D3s has a 1 or 1.5 stop advantage over the D3, the latter just renders the noise more beautiful. Yes, you'll get a bit more noise but it looks better. That is also the main reason why I choose the D3 over the D3s. Personally (if forced to shoot high ISO) I would go with the camera that might have a bit more noise but better looking noise, like film grain, than the camera which has a bit less noise but where the noise looks more bad.

Good luck with your decision!

Greenduck's gear list:Greenduck's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow