Why Pentax Need a New Mount Now

Started Nov 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 11,744
Re: I hear what you are saying

6x9 wrote:

Bill Robb wrote:

6x9 wrote:

If Ricoh/Pentax do not catch the last *sans-mirror* train, they may be left with shrinking DSLR market. And the market will shrink even against users' wishes -

You are pretty much a mirrorless camera fan boy, aren't you?

Nope. I have plenty of DSLR stuff. I value *real* phase detect AF and quality viewfinders. But I like to travel light. I also want to make use of my Pentax lenses on a smaller and lighter body.

Every time I do a like for like comparison between a Pentax setup and a mirrorless setup, the difference in weight comes out to a half a pound to a pound in difference. There not enough gain in that for me to be wanting to give up what I have with a DSLR.

I do own a Nex setup, but I bought into this for the things I couldn't do within my budget with a Pentax DSLR. A 40M underwater case for a Nex can be had for US $120-220 depending on the model. A tilt adapter that adapts a FF Pentax lens to Nex is around US $55. A focal reducer that removes almost all the crop from a FF lens on APS-C is $120. Focus peaking for macros, although with the newer bodies now having focus peaking this is less an issue. A 12mm f2.8 for the Nex cost me about $250. You can now put this together for about $190.

It's not about size or weight between the systems, it's just about extending capabilities by having both.

Thank you
Russell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
6x9
6x9
6x9
ET2
ET2
6x9
ET2
6x9
6x9
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow