Incoming Baby! What system?

Started Nov 13, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tommygun45 Senior Member • Posts: 1,371
Incoming Baby! What system?

Let me keep this as short as I can. I am going to be a dad in April. Have a baby girl on the way in. Also am in the process of building a house so lets just say funds are a concern, but not more so than getting the best possible pictures I can in these upcoming precious moments. That being said I currently have:

Nex6

E35

E16-50

E16/UWA

E18200

FD 50 1.4

FD 24 2.8

I have friends with kids and I have taken some shots of them. I haven't had time to really set anything up or done it in any way other than casually. I have gotten some pretty decent shots but still feel like I may be limited in low light/sleeping situations and don't want to have to resort to the F43 or any other flash based system. Doesn't seem like a good idea.

I know Mel will show a nice shot he got with his Nex 6 and his new grandkid, congrats ps, but I also want to get the best possible images that I can.

I was contemplating selling off the NEX gear and getting an A7 to use with the FD50 1.4 as a cheap 50, and then maybe the FE35. Add lenses as budgeting allows from then on out. I figure I won't be going out and doing much nature shooting any time soon so the $600 18200 will be sitting on the shelf. The 1650 I wouldn't trust getting true keepers, especially indoors, and my 35 1.8 is ok, but shows some limitations.

Plus I figure Ill save money by not having to have their pictures taken.

I've used the 5n and 6 for 3 years now. I know their strengths and weaknesses well. I am thinking about the particulars of shooting a baby, wife, indoors, low light situations and figure that the FF sensor yet compact size will no doubt provide better results than the Nex 6 can. Is it worth the switch? I realize I will be losing Tele but I won't be needing much of that until she is of soccer age and by then my phone will probably do a better job.

Also, anyone plan on using FD lenses on these new cameras? Any idea how they would stack up?

Ended up making some of the interior ones b/w because of lighting wb issues. Was lucky to get 1/30 with iso 200 but that was a normally lit room. Anything dimmer will be tough.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D750 Sony a6500 Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow