Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

Started Nov 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
How predictably contrarian of you

Anders W wrote:

marike6 wrote:

One of the interesting things about the Pekka Potka EM-1 and A7R was that it was short on image comparisons was and the author didn't really post any proper image samples from either camera.

From the A7R, one pebbly wall in a parking lot of a shop, a blurry image of a black trailer shot at 1/80, the top of a dog and a tree. Any of these images in the comparison could have been made with a P&S, if I'm going to be honest.

With early access to a Sony A7R, why not find some more interesting subjects?

Anyway, here are some A7 and A7R samples.

Source:

http://www.cameraegg.org/sony-a7-a7r-rx10-sample-images/

Sony A7, Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA lens

A7R, Distagon T* 24mm F2 ZA SSM lens

A7R, Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA lens

So what? The first is a failure in my book from a technical point of view (too shallow DoF, too much perspective distortion due to the short FL). The second has poor PP (and/or exposure) on the shadows (blocked, too dark) and could have been shot just as well with an MFT camera. The third would in all likelihood have been better if shot with the 75/1.8 on MFT than with the 55/1.8 on the A7R (more DoF on the subject, less busy background).

How predictably contrarian of you. There is just no pleasing you or arguing gear with you, as you are about the most steadfastly persistent and unyielding person on this forum.

First of all,  the point is not so much these samples it's the fact the the original comparison article didn't really demo the A7R well at all.  Poor subject, small web images.  Why do a comparison with no images?

As far as these samples, the first image is "a failure in YOUR book".  I could have guessed that you would say that.   In my book, it looks great. Do I care that the one eye is OOF. Not at all. In the context of an OOC JPEG showing off the bokeh of the 55 f/1.8, it looks great.  Look at it full screen there is not the slightest hint of noise anywhere.

Whether or not these could have been shot on MFT is kind of besides the point. You did look at the extremely low S/NR and you do realize that the resolution is much higher so people who print or display large would clearly benefit from this kind of IQ.

I know from the D800 you could probably turn ISO up to 1600 and they would look like base or ISO 400 on the EM-1. Does it matter? It might, it depends on the photographer. Clearly the prices of the EM-1 and A7 are so close that the Sony is a perfectly valid choice. For me, for ultimate IQ, handling and a nice bright VF, I'll still to my DSLR. And when I need to go small, my X-E1. YMMV.

All the best, Markus

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow