Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

Started Nov 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

marike6 wrote:

Stopped reading after this gem: "In my mind Nikon did Hasselblad Lunars with Df. An ordinary DSLR coated into a fancy cupcake of dials everywhere."

The comparison isn't remotely close considering the Hasselblad Lunar is just a Sony NEX7 with different styling and a wood grip for $7000 while the Nikon Df built from the ground up by Nikon, modeled after an earlier version of their own classic cameras.

I don't know anyone who thinks of exposure dials as "fancy cupcake dials", but that analogy was downright silly considering how fast those "cupcake dials" are to work with out in the field.

But I did skim to the conclusion which was fairly predictable: the reviewer couldn't get on with the A7R because he needs his DOF. Do you think it's possible that he doesn't know that smaller apertures will increase DOF on all cameras?

I am sure he knows that fact. However, he also knows another fact that you overlooked: Unless you want very shallow DoF, i.e., more shallow than f/1.4 to f/2.0 on MFT (corresponding to f/2.8 to f/4 on FF), the larger sensor doesn't offer any advantage from a signal-noise point of view. On the contrary, the E-M1 will do better than the A7R in that regard for equivalent photos (same DoF, same shutter speed, different f-stops, different ISOs).

If you had read Potka's article rather than just skimmed parts of it, you would have realized that this is a key point of his.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow