Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

Started Nov 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
DT200 Contributing Member • Posts: 835
More B.S.

blue_skies wrote:

rrr_hhh wrote:

Peng Bian wrote:

Yeah, along the same line if thought, maybe for those people the rx1 may actually fit the bill better (assuming as you do that they have a lot of disposable income). Since at the tele end the system gets too big and the body advantage is lost, and can't perform wide for legacy lens owners. Even if they come out with a new ff ultrawide it will most likely be much bigger than the legacy counterpart.

Only within the very narrow set of focal lengths concentrated around 35mm is where I see this body having a good value.

I think that you are a little too restrictive here : some legacy RF lenses are quite small. I could happily use my Zeiss Contax G lenses on thus body which would make a fairly light combo : the 90mm F2.8 is a lens smaller and lighter than the Olympus 75mm F1.8; the 45mm F2 is incredibly sharp and would be a top performer and it is smaller than the Panasonic 25mm F1.4. the 28mm F2.8 would get some problems but still be doable from what I have heard. and it is about the size and weight of the 12mm F2. Yes, the 21mm F2.8 will probably be problematic (that remains to test).

Some Voigtländer lenses designs are problematic at the wide end, but not all. They have to be tested. Legacy SLR lenses are smaller than newer ones and their design doesn't create the same problems as RF lenses. So they would be perfect on that body as well, even the wide angle ones.

-- hide signature --

The aperture also converts the same way: the f/1.8 becomes a f/3.6 on FF, so nothing special here. There are plenty of compact 135/2.8 lenses that would outdo the Oly 75/1.8 on FF mirrorless.

There are no "compact" 150mm F/2.8 lenses on FF systems that can perform as well as the 75mm lens wide open.  Very few lenses made can outperform the Sigma designed 75mm F/1.8 lens.

There is also a misnomer that f/1.8 allows me to shoot 'faster' on the Oly: it ignores the two stops difference that FF brings. In other words, I can shoot f/3.6 at same speed and noise on FF, using the two stops difference that the sensor brings.

Check DxO.  When you adjust M43 2 stops (or 1.3 stops for APS too) usually you either equal it or make it slightly better than FF in noise, but you also give the smaller format an advantage in DR.   When you compare the A7R to the EM1 at almost every ISO there is less than 1 stop difference in DR.  Adjusting M43 2 stops gives it a clear advantage.

Now let me promote Sony.  If you want a FF camera, the new Alphas are coming early next year.  They will have IBIS. They have more and better lenses.

Good luck micro four thirds owners!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow