Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

Started Nov 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
Re: Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

rrr_hhh wrote:

marike6 wrote:

Stopped reading after this gem: "In my mind Nikon did Hasselblad Lunars with Df. An ordinary DSLR coated into a fancy cupcake of dials everywhere."

The comparison isn't remotely close considering the Hasselblad Lunar is just a Sony NEX7 with different styling and a wood grip for $7000 while the Nikon Df built from the ground up by Nikon, modeled after an earlier version of their own classic cameras.

I don't know anyone who thinks of exposure dials as "fancy cupcake dials", but that analogy was downright silly considering how fast those "cupcake dials" are to work with out in the field.

But I did skim to the conclusion which was fairly predictable: the reviewer couldn't get on with the A7R because he needs his DOF. Do you think it's possible that he doesn't know that smaller apertures will increase DOF on all cameras?

Your remarks remarks just don't make sense : why commenting if you didn't read ?

Let's just say I didn't read it carefully after all the hyperbole about the Nikon Df, Hasselblad Lunar, and "cupcake dials".

1) you aren't even able to quote his conclusion in whole, where he says that he may get a production A7r with the 35mm to use this summer.

Not sure how the 35 f/2.8 changes his conclusion about his requirement for extremely deep DOF in his cameras.

2) yes, you can close aperture to get more DOF, unless like him you are living in the North like him, where the lights is very dim in winter and in the between season.

I'm sure they sell tripods in Finland, just like here in New York. Most photographers, especially ones shooting landscapes in low-light wouldn't even go out in the field without a tripod so I really don't understand the arbitrary limitation the author is placing on the A7r and FF cameras in general.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow