Pekka Potka's take on the A7R and the EM1

Started Nov 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
marike6 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,088
A monstrosity? Yeah sure.

Winston Loo wrote:

Peng Bian wrote:

Stopped reading after this gem: "In my mind Nikon did Hasselblad Lunars with Df. An ordinary DSLR coated into a fancy cupcake of dials everywhere."

The comparison isn't remotely close considering the Hasselblad Lunar is just a Sony NEX7 with different styling and a wood grip for $7000 while the Nikon Df built from the ground up by Nikon, modeled after an earlier version of their own classic cameras.

I don't know anyone who thinks of exposure dials as "fancy cupcake dials", but that analogy was downright silly considering how fast those "cupcake dials" are to work with out in the field.

But I did skim to the conclusion which was fairly predictable: the reviewer couldn't get on with the A7R because he needs his DOF. Do you think it's possible that he doesn't know that smaller apertures will increase DOF on all cameras?

I think you are being a bit unfair to the author. Hyperboles aside df, from all I've read does seem to have a bit of an identity crisis. And having dedicated dials as well as dslr style dials does seem to point to laziness on the designers side to not think if the user experience but rather cram as much buttons and dials as possible onto the body.

And I'm sure Pekka being a professional photograoher understands how dof and aperture works, though I think that comment was a bit more on the joking side. Still, it's the truth about the delicate balance of stopping down to get enough dof versus keeping a high enough shutter speed and low enough ISO that for many using m43 strikes that ideal balance.
--
http://500px.com/PBian

Spot on… Sony should have put in IBIS.. and IMHO the DF is a monstrosity,

I personally don't know many photographers who would purposely choose an A7 or EM1 over the above "monstrosity" for any other reason than size.  The fact is the Nikon Df is the smallest, lightest FF DSLR on the market and it has a stylish looking weather sealed casing.  Besides, far less enthusiast and professional photographers are as obsessed with camera size as some of you seem to think.

marike6's gear list:marike6's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow