Mid-range zoom for manual focus video on EOS-M

Started Nov 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP jm_mac Senior Member • Posts: 2,043
Re: EOS M May Be Not The Best Tool in Your Case

6x9 wrote:

jm_mac wrote:

Hi 6x9

If you want smooth manual focusing, you would rather look for older MF lenses. AF lenses are designed to be easy for motor to focus them, they do not provide that smoothness as the MF lenses.There are a lot of K-mount manual lenses around for your Pentax, you can easilly find one. And if you get Pentax A or 3rd party equivalent (with electrical contacts) you will have full compatribility with K-01 - metering and automatic aperture will work. You can get M version too, but would need to use a green button to set the exposure with such lens. If I want a MF lens for shooting video, my preferense is Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5. I do not use telephoto lenses much,so difficult to advise. However there are many very inexpensive Pentax lenses around. I would go to a camera store and try old manual lenses.

Is the Pentax A 35-105 f/3.5 push pull? Some folks highly recommend the push-pulls because you can zoom and focus with the one ring. How is the focus throw on that? I realize it is not long enough for my uses, but I know there are many Pentax lenses in the same "family" I could look at that are long enough.

The 35-105 has two separate rings for focusing and zooming. But indeed there are many other lenses around.

With the EOS M it looks a bit more tricky. If you want a good MF lens for Canon M you have two choices - find a EF AF lens which suits your manual focusing needs (still a EF-EOS M adapter is needed), or use a manual focus lens with matching adapter. In the first case I doubt that any AF lens (unless specifically designed for video) can give you the same feeling as a MF lens. And you will be limited to shooting in full manual mode only in the second case.

I understand your first case - in the second case, that means true full manual (i.e. aperture, shutter, etc.)?

I may have explained myself not clearly. I meant that you will not be able to control aperture from the camera, but will have to set it manualy on the lens. It is probably not a big deal for video (unless there is a need to change aperture during filming), but certainly very inconvenient for stills, as the automatic aperture will not work.

Ok, I get it now.  Changing the aperture on the lens is not a big deal for me, and the lens I'm looking for will be used only for video, not stills.  Thanks for the replies.

jm_mac

jm_mac's gear list:jm_mac's gear list
Ricoh WG-M1 Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Nikon D7200 Canon EOS 80D +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow