>>> Street Photography eXchange #72 <<<

Started Nov 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
fad
fad Forum Pro • Posts: 16,894
Re: Crosswalk

geraldPP wrote:

fad wrote:

!

I don't see why you are cropping 4x5 when you use a Nikon. If you enjoy framing after the shoot then you might as well try all the crop ratios like 5x7, 6x17, 16x9 and others I don't know of.

What happened to the purist intentions of SP?

Cropping to get rid of things is like having an artificial focal length...you have a 35mm focal length lens but you end up cropping to a 55mm?

Your subject has a nice turn of the head and possibly nice boots

The boots are nice.  But I cut them off. 

I use a 4:5 crop when I think it will make a better picture.

I limit myself to 3:2, 4:3, 4:5 and 1:1 because I do not want to constantly order different mat openings when I frame pictures.

I have nothing against purist intentions, but I much too much of a beginner to be so pure.   I'm lucky to get anything decent at all, even if I have to change the aspect ratio - or anything else for that matter.

I was thinking today about the HCB NYC shot I posted recently, and I was thinking that it is the shot of a Frenchman.  No NYer would see the city with such exquisite geometry and with that perspective.   It's nice to see a different take, especially from a man of genius.  But it is of no guidance to those of us who know her intimately.

I started today on making my shots more sloppy.  I apologize in advance if they offend anyone. 

-gerald

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow