What type of lens should a new K-3 user start off with?

Started Nov 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CowCookie New Member • Posts: 12
What type of lens should a new K-3 user start off with?

I’m buying a K-3. It’s my first foray into Pentax. I’ve spent most of my time with Nikons — kicking off with the N-70 as a teen and culminating in the D300s. But I don’t have a personal investment in any system because my employers owned the digital equipment and I’d long ago ditched my personal kit, which was never as good. So I’m about to hop on the Pentax bandwagon.

My main shooting is photojournalism and street photography. With Nikons, I used the heck out of the 24-70 f/2.8. I also had a 70-200 f/2.8, but I hardly ever used it for the type of shooting I did. I’m not interested in primes now because I plan on picking up some of them further down the road, after I already have a lens that offers some flexibility.

So I’m looking for something in the 24-70 equivalent range. Unfortunately, my personal budget doesn’t allow for Pentax’s smcP DA* 16-50 f/2.8. For the sake of marital bliss, I want to keep my initial purchase under $2,000. That gives me about $600 for a lens.

Could any of y’all provide a recommendation for a next best alternative? I’m open to Sigma, Tamron or whatever has the best balance between cost-effectiveness, sharpness and speed.

Nikon D300S Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow