>>> Street Photography eXchange #72 <<<

Started Nov 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
geraldPP Senior Member • Posts: 1,760
Re: Lone Passenger

Sal18 wrote:

Sal

Hi Sal,

I am a little late to greet your lone passenger as you had good advice and positive comments from everyone.

This kind of picture is the photo-editors dream...so malleable, so editable!

I think nowadays when pictures are viewed on a monitor or tablet there isn't too much of a concern how one frames for the old print magazine format.

A landscape format was the preferred choice when you hope to get a double-spread shot in an editorial. Nat Geo photographers like to boast about how many 'double-trucks' they got in their last feature.

With a vertical format you'd be pleased to get a full page and, if it is iconic enough, maybe even score the cover!

For newspaper shooters it was different as content wasn't delivered in pages but columns! Only later I discerned that difference between news and magazine photographers. That group almost always went for vertical shots to fit into the single column treatment.

Keep 'Lone Passenger' as flexible as you want with as many variations as it allows. This looks like a fun image to experiment various crops and even processing style/toning.

I did try out a crop to your image so I might as well show that to you -

I don't think the top right corner reflection was that crucial in your image so I sacrificed that for this visual balance between the top and bottom spaces. The skewed angle is to add a little drama and reason for the vertical format.

-gerald

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
(unknown member)
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow