Olympus 12-40 easily beats the Canon 17-55 at f/2.8 (but not when stopped down).

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
Re: Wrong!!!! Bad comparison...

Beach Bum wrote:

technic wrote:

Beach Bum wrote:

IMO, if you want to compare lenses on sensors of different sizes, you'll want to have the same pixel count on both. This isn't exactly perfect either, but it's the best that can be done.

yes, but in this case you are only comparing lenses (mostly resolution), not image quality. The implicit assumption is that because some test chart or DXO rating for an m43 lens is better than for a FF lens on a sensor with the same megapixel count, m43 must have better image quality in real life - which is simply not true.

And for comparing lenses most of this is silly too, because most m43 lenses are so dim on an equivalent basis that you can't compare similar lenses with FF. If you want to know what a system is capable of, just use the best lenses and the best sensors that are available at the moment. I don't have any doubt which one wins; btw, I don't claim the difference is relevant for the average user, but it doesn't make sense to deny it.

I'm not sure why you're righting this as a response to my post.

I was simply correcting a mistake made by ultimitsu. You can't compare a 24.5MP sensor to a 16MP sensor regardless of whether it's within the same format or across format.

For instance, if you compared a theoretical 24MP MFT sensor to a 16MP sensor, the 24 MP MFT sensor will always outresolve it. So, it equally makes no sense to compare a 24MP FF to a 16MP MFT.

If we want to compare lenses, then you absolutely do not compare a 36MP sensor to a 16MP sensor, regardless of whether those are the best available.

read my post again, I'm not denying this. But using sensors with the same MP count is a very theoretical comparison with little practical value.

Believe it or not, MFT sensor can easily move up in class to 24MP sensors, but the MFR's are being conservative at the moment.

Yes, and FF can easily move up to 100 MP with the same technology ...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow