Great from f2

Started Nov 7, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
citrontokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 812
Great from f2

This lens is made to be used wide-open. Sure, it'll get even better stopped down, but this really is the lens you want for low-light shooting. In the 35mm neck-of-the-woods, the Zeiss lens is sharper and more contrasty on my Pentax k5 it's than any of the DA 35 2.4, the Sigma 30 1.4, the DA 40 ltd and the FA 43ltd, in my experience, although the DA 40 also had some pretty good contrast from the get-go. The image is also very even across the frame, if that's important to you, and as a result is good for landscapes/architecture. Not a lot of distortion, but a bit of vignetting at f2. As for the bokeh, I guess you could say it's kind of swirly, looking a bit like paint-brush strokes.

Build-wise, it's also bigger, heavier and more solid than the above lenses, and could probably smash them all into little pieces if it were to be used as a hammer...er...not that I recommend it to be used this way. The hold on the k5 is a match made in heaven, with the weight balancing very nicely, and the barrel long enough to make manual focussing a pleasure, while not too long. The hood is a short, metal, bayonet-style thing that protects the front element enough that you shouldn't need a filter for protection.

Luckily I got it for about 600$. Unluckily it's the only Zeiss that seems to goes for that price. As of this writing (2013/11), there are still possibly about a half a dozen or more new ones available on the Japanese market, going for about 67,000 yen, last I checked.

Highly recommended for people who like manual focussing.

citrontokyo's gear list:citrontokyo's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35
Wideangle prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Pentax KAF
citrontokyo's score
Average community score
Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow