Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Re: Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

kittykat23uk wrote:

What confuses me is just what exactly are we supposed to be comparing AF systems to?

All manufactuirers have entry level models up to high end models. So my question is, what would be an appropriate benchmark against e.g. an E620 with a 50-200 attached?

What about an E-5 with the same lens or the EM-1 with the same lens?

What about the EM1 with the native 75-300 lens?

My partner has a 30D and sigma 170-500. Under the same shooting conditions, (BIFs from a bird hide) I have found that my 50-200 tendsto hunt less and locks on quicker than his set up. but I doubt that is a fair comparison either.

You are quite correct.  Canon took out their 5D III AF system from the 6D, as one example of deliberate capability reduction within a line.  Expecting the top class AF across all bodies is unrealistic.  Then some lenses are problematic, either individually or by model (such as the Olympus ZD 50 f/2, with a reputation for being difficult to AF).

My testing was a simple comparison of the main lens I use for a particular type of shooting mounted on the E-5 and E-M1.

Other people have tested other standard FT lenses on the E-M1 and have reported good results.  Some seem to be having trouble.  Read all of the reports and you should be able to get a better idea of what to expect -- but take into consideration how credible some reporting is.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow