New version of Aperture announced!

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Hen3ry Forum Pro • Posts: 18,218
The real question: where is v.4?

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

donsullivan wrote:

<...>

I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if a major release eventually shows up but right now there are just no facts that it's going to happen, just wishful thinking.

I agree there is nothing directly pointing to a major upgrade. But there's also nothing that strongly indicates there's not going to be one either. That's really what I'm trying to say.

I gave up on Aperture v.3 long go after realizing it would run fast only on some kind of wonder machine several times more powerful than my 2010 6,2 MBP -- and thatr machine was going to be about two generations away from what was availableat the time even if I was about to buy it to run what I judge to be poorly designed and crippled software.

In my book, Aperture needed a huge clean-up of how it works and v.3 was a gap filler while they got strong, seamless, multi-library architecture worked out.

Seriously, I understand that it has moved some way forward since I used it (boy, oh boy, did it need to!) but given the resources Apple could throw at it if it wanted to, I see Aperture as some little appendage just hanging on because no-one has thought of a way of cutting it off without being called out on it.

Guys -- is there just one troglodyte muttering to himself as he slaves away part-time on Aperture in some basement corner, or is there a serious development team at work?

And if the latter, where is the evidence for it?

Ask yourself that and you can see that there is really a very strong indication that there's not going to be a major upgrade to Aperture any time soon -- or more likely, ever.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow