Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Re: Checking for mis-focus (not to be confused with blur)

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

shooting a 500mm lens on APS-C you know if a shot is misfocused instantly as the DOF is very shallow when shooting larger apertures

Yes, I would guess so. Provided you aren't confusing motion blur with a shift in focal plane, which is what I was referring to.

if you shoot very long telephoto you'd understand how easy it is to spot a misfocus,

500 mm on 135 has the same EFL as 250 mm on FourThirds, and I routinely shoot at 200 mm.  But the DOF you will get at the same relative aperture is halved on 135, which is usually going to be problematic for telephoto.  (A reason I use FourThirds.)

I also just explained how you spot it.  If you can't tell that objects are in focus and sharp at a different distance then you can't easily tell mis-focus from slight blur.

motion blur is just one of those things with a long lens, especially hand holding them

Yes, which is where a good IS system comes in handy.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow