Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP boggis the cat Veteran Member • Posts: 6,329
Re: Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

gnewylliw wrote:

I would agree if other systems were no better. But the d7100 is impeccable AF , and cheaper than e-m1.

If the AF were 'impeccable', there would be no discussion of how to improve the AF success rate.  But, in the thread I linked to, there is much discussion over which C-AF setting will yield the best 'keeper' rate.  And not discussion to the effect that the keeper rate will be 100% regardless, due to the 'impeccable AF', .

No AF is perfect.  Some are better in different situations than others, and there is often debate about whether e.g. Olympus S-AF used in a certain context produces a better yield than another brand's S-AF -- then argument over whether a particular result is simply a 'lemon' model, or the type of photograph isn't representative of the capabilities of the system, and so on.

If you never have AF issues with a D7100 then you may have chosen the right body and / or lens for what you are shooting.  The people discussing taking soccer photos in the linked thread seem to be arguing about how to get a good 'keeper' rate under -- presumably -- different shooting conditions.  (If you get a 100% success rate and shoot soccer then you should respond to that thread explaining how you achieve this.)

boggis the cat wrote:.

You're entitled to your opinions, but frankly, claims such as being able to tell misfocused shots from facebook photos suggests to me that you may have an unrealistic view of photography generally. (That is only my opinion, too.

D7100 is 300-400$ cheaper. Not a pro body but pretty close.

The Panasonic G6 is cheaper still.  Also not a 'pro' body, but again 'pretty close'.

The D4 is far more expensive, and is definitely a 'pro' body, yet may produce an image technically inferior to a much cheaper D600.  So the D4 is rubbish, right?  Nobody with any sense would buy one, so all of the professional photographers who do so are simply idiots.

(I have come across your type of argument before.)

"Pro-level pricing"? No, I don't think so. :

All of them.

"All of them" what?

Are you talking about macro shooting, portrait distances, landscapes...?

Also, if you take lots of photos with a very narrow DOF then you'll likely get more mis-focused shots than if you shoot with a deeper DOF.

It wasn't a simple conclusion for me to make, but only after painstakingly going through every possible problem aside from sending it off the service (and i'm 99% sure they would just send it back saying it looked fine and I'm crazy), I make that conclusion.

I don't make conclusions based on other people's experiences. My opinion come out of my own experiences, and confirmed by others.

That is a contradiction.

You're absolutely right about many AF "problems" not being problems with AF.

How I see this, being of a scientific bent, is that it is unlikely that my success rate is due to something that I am doing.  The only explanations for some other people's reports of terrible AF performance are: bad camera and / or lens, different shooting conditions to mine, user incompetence.

Yes, well, you appear to be another self-appointed 'expert' -- so you may want to weigh in to these sort of threads, because others clearly don't understand that they are notexperiencing AF problems. (The thread I linked to is presently sitting in the "Top threads" list, where it was yesterday as well. Go forth and convert the heathens who dare question the true religion of perfect AF! )

But I have .

So the people experiencing AF issues are simply wrong?

As I don't have Canon / Nikon / Pentax / Sony / Samsung / etc. equipment comparable to mine it is difficult to make any sort of definitive 'cross system' assessment

Clearly we have different opinion but we are arguing about 5-year old systems. Let's focus on (har har) the present, namely the E-M1. I provide my experiences with past AF as a reference to gauge the E-M1 capability.

Well, no, you don't. You are making assertions that seem to be making increasingly less sense.

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow