Buying first DSLR - recommended kit for 600D?

Started Nov 5, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stan Borzhemsky New Member • Posts: 14
Buying first DSLR - recommended kit for 600D?

I am finally upgrading to an actual DSLR from my Finepix S1800. Trouble is, I've become quite addicted to its 28-500mm focal range, so I am trying to find a bundle of 600D together with lenses that will allow me to achieve most if not all of the range I previously had.

I've also read that it's recommended to have at least a UV filter attached to protect the lens from dust and scratches. I know a polariser would be nice too, since I'm going away on holiday soon. However, most cheap lenses I've read up on seem to rotate with focusing, so it might not be worthwhile - I'd appreciate your opinions on this.

Finally, I have a budget of £400 cash to spend, although I'd be willing to spend more as long as the shop offers deferred payment. My current picks on the market are:

1) eBay - Used 600D with a Sigma 28-200mm SLD DG Macro - £450

This one is stretching my budget, but I am tempted since it sounds like pretty much the perfect lens for me. It covers most of the range and doesn't rotate.

However, the eBay seller states "Very small amount of dust but this is to be expected when buying a used lens or even a new one." I have absolutely no clue whether this is indeed correct, or if it implies that the lens has been misused - any thoughts?

2) Jessops - 600D + 18-55mm IS + 55-250mm IS - £569

Covers most of the focal range and comes with image stabilization (I don't think Sigma has that). But the lens front does rotate, and with accessories like filter, bag, [anything else you'd suggest as a must-have], it is a pretty penny to spend on a first DSLR.

3) Jessops - 600D + 18-55mm IS Lens + Tamron 70-300mm - £469

Quite a bit cheaper than above and covers more range. But lens also rotates, but has no IS, and also takes a 62mm filter compared to Canon's 58mm.

-- hide signature --

I would really appreciate your opinions on the above options. Also, please do suggest if there is any other lens combos that I overlooked, or better possible deals.

Thank you!

Stan Borzhemsky's gear list:Stan Borzhemsky's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow