Olympus 12-40 easily beats the Canon 17-55 at f/2.8 (but not when stopped down).

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
Re: Apparently you think that "f8 and be there"

LTZ470 wrote:

Now if size/weight is important and aperture/DOF control is NOT, one could say that such small/light (and dim) lenses are not available on FF, which is true (with a few exceptions again). m43 has an advantage if you want to travel light, but that is something different than superior optical or image quality.

DOF is even shallow on M43 shooting nature shots, I find a Superzoom actually does a better job at times to give more of the subject in focus...

Yes, sometimes more DOF is beneficial and sometimes it isn't. It depends on the subject, the style of the photographer, the amount of light etc. For my type of nature photography, I often have to struggle with the amount of light available, so brighter is better to enable faster shutter speed. And having a brighter lens ALWAYS helps to improve focusing accuracy (even if you decide to stop it down for better DOF), either for the viewfinder or for the AF system.

In some cases having more DOF would be nice, and yes sometimes a compact would be more suitable for the subject than a DSLR. But far more often the opposite is true for me, because I don't like cluttered backgrounds (or PP a cluttered background to make it seem like the lens has isolated the subject ...). Almost all the current m43 long tele lenses have less DOF control than what is available on APS-C and FF DSLRs.

If you look at professional nature photographers, many of them use DSLRs with bright long lenses, and often they use them full open. Most of these people know what they are doing and stick to this type of equipment because it works best, for now. I'm sure many of them would use m43 in the field instead if that would allow them to have the same photographic options.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow