Olympus 12-40 easily beats the Canon 17-55 at f/2.8 (but not when stopped down).

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
OP Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,397
I do have some better shots... at f/4.

I'm not much of a wide-open shooter.

I do have plenty of shots at f/4 and they show what my 17-55 could do. For instance:

17-55 at f/4

This picture shows what I use a lens for: both the leftmost and rightmost player and their accordion must be sharp. That worked with the 17-55 to my satisfaction. This is the type of shot I will be making in the future to really see whether the 12-40 is still better, as my initial observation leads me to believe.

Here is another one from a year later:

Here is a rare one at f/2.8, taken at an amazing 1/5s...

17-55 at f/2.8

The partial license plate on the right and the writing on the building show the sharpness under these difficult circumstances.

So no I don't think my 17-55IS lens was a bad copy. I was very happy with it. Below is another uncontrolled comparison, with a picture taken of our house, 5 years apart so again lots of differences in the circumstances, but it is an f/2.8 picture.

17-55 at f/2.8

12-40 at f/2.8

And more comparison: the 12-50 kit lens wide open.

12-50 at f/3.5

Going from the Canon to the 12-50 was a real step backwards, but with the 12-40 I'm happy again, as you can imagine.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow