Why DX mirrorless will replace FX DSLR (for most photographers)

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP WD Contributing Member • Posts: 520
Re: Most photographers never had an FX DSLR...

JimPearce wrote:

And most never will. At this point, it isn't clear what Nikon will do with mirrorless technology. My sense is that like Canon they will be looking toward a hybrid autofocus system, but unlike Canon will preserve full AF-S motor compatibility (The newer Canons require STM lenses for optimal autofocus performance.). At that point they can drop the mirror in the lower-priced cameras to reduce manufacturing costs and increase reliability. Size and weight will be reduced, but not too much. I think that once the direction is clear that we can expect some new and smaller DX lenses.

Agreed, Jim.  It isn't clear what Nikon will do with mirrorless.  But I wish more Nikon owners actually knew what Nikon has produced so far and what they have shown they can do!

Like NikonMike, I have a D300 and V1.  The V1 is amazing.  It's focus speed in good light is as fast and actually more consistently accurate than the D300!  (And the 51-point AF of the D300 and D700 is better than the 39-pt used in D7100 and D600.)  The color, WB, matrix metering are all superior as well.  The video capability is very good.  The FT-1 adapter lets me use my 70-300VR and 35mm/1.8 and get amazing results with legacy glass.  I've virtually stopped reaching for the D300 and, instead, purchased a second V1 and carry it in my glove compartment.  It has totally changed my thinking about needing that D400 I always craved....and may never see.

Of course there are things the D300, a D800, or D4 does better.  The V1 is just a 1" sensor and lacks the external controls we're used to.   But combining the DX format in a compact mirrorless body with improved C-AF tracking, smaller DX lenses, retained compatibility with Nikon's excellent flash system, upgraded video to 4K and Nikon owners would have a camera that would simply BLOW....THEIR....MINDS!  (And those of their friends who saw it and tried it!)

-- hide signature --

Warren

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow