Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Geo Wharton Senior Member • Posts: 1,321
Re: Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

Big Ga wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

Big Ga wrote:

boggis the cat wrote:

This is a thread about AF performance of this lens, since there have been conflicting reports -- including from DPR, which I now view as nonsense.

So what exactly about the DPR report do you consider nonsense ?

Their opinion on AF performance of standard FT lenses.

That's a very telling statement. Because personally, I can totally understand what the DPR review was getting at. Its not a subject that most on 1022 want to talk about, but the cold hard reality is that AF on 4/3 cameras has ALWAYS been a (very) weak point of the system compared to the big two.

If you use 4/3 cameras on a regular basis, most people will learn techniques so as to try and minimise or work around the negatives, however if you also then use other cameras for any period of time, most of them have AF systems that don't have the Oly quirks/failings, its then that you notice how bad the Oly AF is when you switch back.

I suspect you don't have a wide enough frame of reference to actually know how a decent AF system should operate. if you did, you'd almost certainly agree with the DPR report.

I very seldom miss focus with the E-5. Perhaps the two I have just happen to be the most perfect two E-5 bodies in the world. I think it takes a steady hand but CAF works extremely well. I get better results from CAF than with SAF on moving objects, including birds in flight, running dogs, speeding motorcycles, etc.  Olympus does not have "tracking" AF. It has Predictive CAF. When I lock on with CAF the Predictive AF keeps the focus right.

I agree with Boggis that DPR did a crap job of reviewing the E-5.  They waited more than three months to get around to slapping together a report.  They left the camera on default settings and did not get out of the camera what it was capable of.  I doubt they even tried to.

As I said, opinion, but if you can't keep this focused then you're not doing it right.

And yes, I have owned and rented other makes of cameras.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F +35 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow