D7000 is horrible at soccer pictures

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ZorSy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482
Re: D7000 is horrible at soccer pictures

theNeverKings wrote:

ZorSy wrote:

Wouldn't you think practice and learning may be the answer, rather than blaming the gear? Start with static subjects, moving away from the focus point and coming back. Once mastered, start with slow moving subjects...move through panning and focusing until you can do what birders do: get a sharp photo of tiny fast honey-sucker buzzing around distant flowers... If they can do it, surely the soccer play is a piece of cake. There is quite a number of birders out there with the same camera, they should know better...

Hi ZorSy.

The OP is not alone. I "inherited" a D7000 from my Father who wanted to downsize. Ultimately, I have come to the same conclusion in that the D90's simpler focus system seems to produce more accurate, consistent results than my D7000.

I'm not saying the D7000's AF is bad, just that the D90 is better, taking into consideration what I shoot and how I do it. Still, it beats the living cr@p out of my XE1's AF(which is why I use Manual/Zone Focus most of the time!).

Cheers.

-- hide signature --

Hi,

I went from D80 to D7100 and it took me some time to get used to 7100's trigger happy AF-C, as it would fire (if I allowed it to) not nearly focus acquisition moment. AFC will not prevent you to take the shot if there was no confirmation, but just purely by the design of the shutter button I would take the shot. D80 had deeper shutter button and half press and full were very distinct. I'm used now on D7100 and generally have no issues with the focusing (in particular daylight photography).  But at time I replied to OP, I did not know he is struggling to get the sharp shot of stationary objects using AF-C, which could point real problem.

ZorSy's gear list:ZorSy's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D7100
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow