Why DX mirrorless will replace FX DSLR (for most photographers)

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
stuntmonkey
stuntmonkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,728
Re: Why a Mirrorless Future is Still Far Off

WD wrote:

You're correct about the recent past and the status today. But, we're looking forward here. The gains in technology have been quite rapid, actually, over the past two years. Nikon has shown the ability of on-sensor PD for focus speed and accuracy; Canon's version is biased toward improved CD focusing (for now) which coincides with their lead in DSLR video; Oly's newest sensor shows quality which arguably is "good enough" for almost any purpose even when compared to the best FX of a few years ago; many feel Panasonic's GH3 leads the whole lot for marrying video and still in one camera; and now Sony is innovating like mad, even testing the FX water with the new A7r.

While I'll agree that this is where the market is heading, but I would add that just because something is beneficial does not mean that inevitable. On paper, a professional DX body ala the D400 makes sense, but clearly what's holding it back is partly due to the will of the people who could bring it to market, not that it has no place in the market.

Olympus will probably carry on, despite not having a clear pathway to profitability (as good as the E-m1 is, it won't lift their camera sales out of the red solely on its own). I've got an uneasy feeling about Panasonic still being in cameras this time next year... hopefully yes. And the Sony A7r? Good luck getting one before Christmas if you haven't pre-ordered, unit volume will be very low. That's the "who" part of the equation right now. I would add that the Fuji X-cameras have made a strong case with enthusiasts, but have a long ways to go before breaking into the fat middle of the consumer market.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow