Getting Started With Silkypix - it's easy!

Started Apr 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Charles2 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,137
RFC Silkypix is a good start

I tried at least casually most of the alternative programsfor step one of post processing an RAF file. Never found a better quality of demosaic, which is how raw processing begins.

So I use RFC Silkypix to get a TIF - exposure and white balance. I reduce contrast aggressively to combat clipping (watch the histogram), knowing that I can boost a selected range for contrast later. Everything else stays neutral or minimal.

Then Raw Therapee is great for contrast; for its tone map function, which in small amounts is a subtle tool not the usual overcooked HDR; its LAB curves; and its RL deconvolution sharpening. You can refine exposure by 0.01 stop, far more precise than Silkypix. You can choose the working color space - ProPhotoRGB, AdobeRGB, etc.

Finally, Picture Window Pro is a general purpose alternative to Photoshop, with versatile selections by brightness, color, freehand outline, etc.

Whether you start with Silkypix and export a TIF or whether you go all the way with it like Trevor, we agree that the program is not difficult for a beginning, contrary to much opinion floating around.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
DB3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow