Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
gnewylliw Regular Member • Posts: 243
Re: Using the 50-200 SWD on both E-5 and E-M1

I excluded every one of those possibilities on my OOF shots and more. I've found the exif focus distance to be pretty accurate.

If a shot I have taken looks slightly blurred the explanations are usually, in order of likelihood:

• low shutter speed and moving subject (for example, check the foreground person in this shot and you may think there is a focus issue -- but check out his planted foot:
  • or mis-judging the focal distance (due to me using the old trick of focusing on something at approximately the correct distance then recomposing and shooting -- due to too much foliage to get a good lock, for example);
  • or what appears to be a slight shift in focus -- usually behind the subject -- that does not appear to be my fault.

Isn't that what Big Ga is implying? the e-m1 s-AF is at least as good as e-5 (maybe even better, if there are no false-locks); however it is still a mediocre AF ability compare to canikon?

If you are going to use native MocroFT lenses only, then yes, AF is much improved. S-AF is as good as the E-5, and possibly the occasional dud lock has been fixed, and C-AF is much better from what I have seen. I doubt C-AF is as good as a good implementation on a Canon or Nikon body, however, so if this is what you plan on using then make sure you can give the E-M1 a thorough test (preferably test two systems together to get an accurate comparative assessment)

gnewylliw's gear list:gnewylliw's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow