Why DX mirrorless will replace FX DSLR (for most photographers)

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,903
Maybe not

Grevture wrote:

wildlifr wrote:

Grevture wrote:

This has been used as a big red banner wawed by APS-C owners for a long time. Yet many users buy FX cameras, put telephotos on them and still seem to enjoy themselves immensely. Why is that? Well, largely because the 1.5 times crop advantage actually is not much of an advantage in real life. Except for a very small AF penalty, you can achieve the same effect by using a TC-14 teleconverter with a FX camera. Yes, really, you can. And unlike using a DX sensor, the teleconverter can be easily removed once you do not need the extra reach anymore.

Most of your arguments have been logical, but this one is silly.

Actually, as silly as it might sound, it really is not.

When you compare APS-C without TC vs APS-C with TC it is a "you win some, you gain some" situation. You gain reach, you loose light, and you effectivly blow up any optical shortcomings of the lens used with the TC.

Not really>>>

For the same AOV, lenses for larger sensor systems often have larger aperture diameters which gather more light than smaller sensor systems, and thus deliver less noisy images even if the sensor for the larger sensor system is less efficient (to a degree). However, choosing a larger aperture diameter also results in a more shallow DOF, more vignetting, and softer corners. For fully equivalent images, however, all systems gather the same total amount of light. Thus, any differences in the noise density and dynamic range will be due to differences in the sensor efficiencies, and, larger sensors are not necessarily more efficient than smaller sensors.

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/#10

You really have to compare equivalent images to get to the real advantages and disadvantages.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow