Why DX mirrorless will replace FX DSLR (for most photographers)

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
MOD Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,751
some

WD wrote:

blue_cheese wrote:

You bring up a lot of benefits that mainly have to do with mirorless rather than sensor format. my prediction of the future:

ALL DSLR will die off, FX will remain in large bodies (camera won't shrink) but once EVF gets there and on sensor phase detect matches the dedicated AF units today, then the need for mirror is completely gone.

DX will move downmarket

I disagree. What significant gains are there in image quality with FX? Really.

Reduce the DOF for greater subject isolation. APS-C...flower fills the frame and wide open. Same lens on FF you step closer for flower to fill the frame and you get closer.

"Moving in closer does more than just bring your composition back to having the flower filling the frame again. Because you’re now standing physically closer to the flower, the perspective on the flower seems a little bit more extreme. And now you’re focusing closer too. And when you focus closer, depth of field gets smaller. So that background grass is suddenly even more blurred, meaning that the flower stands out even more. Same subject, same lens, same aperture and even the same composition, but the full frame camera has resulted in a photo which is different! In this case, you might prefer the full-frame camera"

The larger sensor has manufacturing advantages that can result in less noise in your images...all else being equal.

More useful with the current crop of wide angle lenses available.

So yes, there are significant gains to be had for those wanting to take advantage of them. Not everyone shoots to that level though

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow