Why DX mirrorless will replace FX DSLR (for most photographers)

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757
I agree, but only with the base premise

WD wrote:

1) Sensors are getting so good, the "quality" of images at the viewing or print sizes most used is insignificant. End of the NEED for FX except a very small percentage of photogs.

Yes, this is already a factor. The d7k/d5100 sensors are clearly exceptional for all uses except extremely high ISO application. Perhaps the newer 24mp sensors are as well, but I have no experience with those yet.

2) High fps is better with mirrorless. Electricity is faster than a flipping mirror. Fast, accurate focus depends on the mirror being in the "down" position. Only then can the camera focus accurately, that is, as accurately as it is capably adjusted for. In each second, this position is shorter than the interval between frames with a mirrorless camera, giving the mirrorless camera more total time to acquire focus or track a target. Soon, with better sensors such as the one in a Nikon V2, and more powerful processors, fps with accurate focus and tracking will be 3X what the fastest DSLR would be capable of. The end of the need for D4 style action cameras.

High FPS rates MUST be accompanied by accurate AF, which I assume is the point you're trying to make here. But, in reality, there are practical limits to the need for extremely high FPS rates. IMO, 10 to 12 FPS is enough for all but the most demanding situations. The DX mirror assembly already has an advantage over FX in that regard, in that the assembly is smaller and lighter, thus easier to move at high FPS rates. So, whether or not mirrorless has a significant advantage here, remains to be seen, IMO.

3) Lighter and smaller is better for many. For those who want bigger, you can have it. Panny GH3 vs GH2 as an example. The camera body can/will be sized to satisfy. The smaller, lighter glass will be welcomed by 99.98% of users.

Quite so, except where are you seeing the smaller, lighter glass for DX cameras? Well, the advantage comes from the crop factor, which allows one to use a shorter focal length, of the same LARGE lenses that are available for FX.

I've been using dual formats, FX and DX for several years, precisely due to the DX crop factor advantage. But, I would much prefer an even smaller set of lenses, where real gains can be had. IOW, the CX format or the 4/3 format are where one can really see the gains in smaller, lighter lenses.

IMO, that is where the future lies, in a format that is smaller than DX.

6) Modern EVFs are improving and will continue to improve. New recruits to photography comparing all the benefits of EVF vs. OVF will look at OVF the way people today compare older CRT TVs to modern HD LED TVs.

Well, the EVF has to be better than what the best OVF offers, before it will work for demanding photography like sports/action, etc.

7) Video is becoming more and more important in today's cameras, whether some accept that or not. Mirrorless just does a better job of it than DSLR. (Sorry, but it's true.)

meh....

8) And, finally, as organizations come to realize the quiet operation of the newer cameras, political/news/public forums will forbid the noise and distraction caused by hordes of newsmen firing continuous bursts from their clacking DSLRs thus forcing wholesale migration away from those cameras.! (Well, maybe not, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to hear someone interviewed live without the machine-gun sounds of cameras nearly drowning out their voices??)

Maybe, but doubtful, IMO.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
WD
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow