Looking for recommendation for a bargain legacy telephoto (135mm+)

Started Nov 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
areichow Senior Member • Posts: 1,585
Looking for recommendation for a bargain legacy telephoto (135mm+)

I'm looking for recommendation for a bargain MF legacy telephoto to use on my NEX-5R, something under $100. A prime at 135mm or above would be great, also open to a zoom (70-200ish?). There are lot of options on KEH.com, so many that picking between them is a pain. Close focus/macro would be a nice bonus. Lighter is nicer, but given the choice

Right now, I have mount adapters for FD, C/Y, AR, and MD. Only adapter with a tripod mount I have at the moment is the FD, so I lean toward an FD lens... but that's really not a huge deal, I can always the tripod version of an adapter for one of the other mounts.

I don't plan on doing any handheld portraits with it. The anticipated use case is pictures of the setting and rising sun and moon. With sunrise happening when it is now, I've taken a lot of sunrise photos with the lovely Minolta MD 35-70/3.5, but found myself wishing I could "zoom in" by 2-3x from the 70mm. If it does close focus/macro, I'd probably end up using it on flowers and bugs as well.

Thanks in advance!

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha a7
NEX-5T
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow