A good full format camera, now at a bargain price!

Started Nov 3, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,331
A good full format camera, now at a bargain price!

The D600 has had its share of bad publicity, therefore already replaced on the production line by the D610, which has another shutter, and a software tweak, or two.

My background is a life in transport, security, illustration, and publishing, where a camera sometimes came in handy, so I have used them all, almost. One could say I grew up with a 35mm SLR (bought my first in my teens), and my dad's TLR, but eventually tired of the weight, and bulk, so I changed to Minox compact 35mm cameras (later similar cameras from Konica, the Big Minis). Then digital compacts (Konica KD-500), followed by various APS-C cameras, and eventually back to 35mm-sized full format cameras, in the form of the D600.

I love the viewfinder on the D600 - big, and easy to use for a guy with glasses, like me. The weight is just marginally heavier than my last APS-C DSLR, so that's also good. The autofocus, while not fool-proof, is quick and almost always spot on - not as hesitant as my last APS-C DSLR's was.

The menus are many, and detailed, taking quite some time to get used to, so bit of an uphill battle, if you come from a simpler DSLR, like my first, a Pentax K-x. Far better than on my NEX-5N, by the way!

The D600 excels when used in high contrast situations, as it is, in its default setting, a bit soft. The sharpness is excellent, if you have the right lenses for it!

Although of lower resolution than the D800, it suffers slightly less from noise, thus can beat its big brother at times, just as the Sony A7 seems to beat the A7r when it comes to noise at high ISO (the latter has the same sensor as the D800).

I too have had dust issues with my camera, so it has been to Nikon for a cleanup, and checkup. Since then the dust is much less of an issue than it used to be - probably due to the fact I've used it a lot!

If I had not bought it when I could, and the Nikon DF had been released, I might have opted for that one instead, but I probably would still have bought the D600, and got a lot of money left for lenses!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Nikon D600
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Sep 13, 2012
Tord S Eriksson's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
great
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D800 Pentax K-x Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow