FZ200 manual Inifinty Focus - what is the distance?

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Questions thread
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,254
Re: FZ200 manual Inifinty Focus - what is the distance?

swamibob wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

swamibob wrote:

If I am at the max zoom of 24X (108mm), I notice the focus bar gets very small. Does anyone know what the max distance that if I focus on will be correct for the moon or stars? Would the focus of 100ft away be in focus for the moon and the stars? I am planing on taking some star photos tomorrow night and I want to make sure I get them in focus. I hope someone has a simpler way of know for sure I will be in focus. I find it not so easy to eyeball it when taking the pictures, but I can certainly tell when I look at them on the computer later.

Why not focus on the moon?

(Keep in mind that the focus changes as zoom changes...so pick a zoom and stay with it)

Sherm

Well, specifically for tomorrow night, there is no moon. It is the new moon tomorrow, and I am heading off to a dark area a couple of hours away (KISSIMMEE PRAIRIE PRESERVE, about 25miles NW of Okeechobee, FL) to camp for the night and to try to get some shots of star trails and just stars in general, and I was hoping for a quick and easy way for me to tell if I was in crisp focus or not. I have read you can actually go past infinity so I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing that. Is there a distance at ground level I can focus at, or is the focus different even from the moon to the stars? I figured once it was a certain distance away, the infinity focus would be the same. I am going to try to focus on the brightest star I see, but I thought maybe there was an easier way to be sure.

When I focus "far away", the focus line is all the way to the right, so you should be ok using that criterion.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow