AF-S 58/1.4 some samples

Started Nov 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sharkcookie
sharkcookie Junior Member • Posts: 25
AF-S 58/1.4 some samples

Just went out and took a few sample shots. Not a real test but I wanted to see how it performs in some situations that are important to me. I ran them through Lightroom with mild sharpening, but no other corrections.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions. Here are my thoughts: It seems the lens is optimized for normal distance, not for close range. Close up shots tend to look less crisp. Might be the fact that the DoF is just very shallow. When focusing on far object the lens is very sharp wide open. I'm very happy with the result.

As I mentioned in my other post, the bokeh has a color shift of magenta/green in the areas behind and in front of the focus plane. This is an issue with many fast prime lenses. You can see it clearly on the train track shots if you look at the wood panels.

Look at the fine detail on the houses where I focused on far object. All are shot at 1.4! I think that's pretty good.

Most impressive shot to me is the last one where I had the sun (on purpose in the corner. There is almost no flare at all.

All shots taken with a D800 at f/1.4

my sample shots

sharkcookie's gear list:sharkcookie's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a6000 Nikon D850 +9 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow