just got my 58/1.4

Started Nov 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sharkcookie
sharkcookie Junior Member • Posts: 25
just got my 58/1.4

Just got mine delivered and gave it a quick test run.

Just taking the package from the UPS guy made me happy because of how light it was. The lens is much lighter than the size suggests. That's a big plus. Doesn't feel flimsy in any way, though. Actually the focus ring has a very good solid feel to it. Similar to for example the latest AF-S 70-200/2.8. Not that I'm using MF a lot, but some folks do.

AF speed is decent. Comparable to the other fast AF-S primes.

AF is extremely quiet. Not that any AF-S lens is noisy, but this one seems even quieter. Focusing is very good without much 'jittering' when it locks on target as some other lenses tend to do (especially third party lenses). I also got a very good hit rate with it. That was one of the issues I had with the AF-S 50/1.4. It would produce many slightly off focused shots in situations where the AF itself should have zero problems.

Sharpness seems pretty good for a 1.4. Don't expect wonders. It seems to be at least as good as my AF-S 85/1.4 which is pretty amazing. I think many expected some magic that isn't really possible.

Best thing about this lens and one of the reasons I got it is it's gorgeous bokeh. It really softens the background in a beautiful way. Both in the foreground and background it creates very nice soft transitions. Like other lenses it does show some green/magenta shift in the background/foreground blur. I have seen many many lenses show that effect.

When it comes to shooting super fast lenses wide open and their extremely shallow DoF you have to keep in mind that nailing focus is the most important aspect of getting the best sharpness. If you miss focus just a tiny bit you are basically getting the sharpness of an average kit lens. That's why to me a fast prime without AF is almost useless. In my work I do not have the time to manual focus and nail it perfectly. I have to rely on AF to get it right. It will not give me a 100% hit rate, but it will give me on average a much higher one than manual focus. That's why I couldn't care less if there is an MF lens out there with similar specs that performs a tad better in a lab test. Congrats to the engineers, but unfortunately I won't be able to take advantage of it in real life shooting.

sharkcookie's gear list:sharkcookie's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Sony a6000 Nikon D850 +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow