New version of Aperture announced!

Started Oct 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,593
Re: Ooops Again!

Mark Alan Thomas wrote:

Basalite wrote:

Mark Alan Thomas wrote:

Basalite wrote:

I suppose my case is unique because I use Sigma cameras so I am not dependent on Lightroom, or any other paid app, to develop my raw images. Sigma's software is free to use. I also don't require or want complex file handling and management. My primary purpose in using Lightroom is as an image editor and in that regard it is almost perfect. So much so that if Adobe stopped making future versions of Lightroom it would not affect me at all. I would very happily continue using it. Lightroom for me has been a joy and it has definitely improved my images but just as important, as the life clock ticks away, it has saved me a tremendous amount of time and made my image editing so much more easier to do. It has solved nearly all of my previous image editing "problems."

I’m curious as to why you would choose Lightroom over the Camera Raw plug-in if you don’t need Lightroom’s file management features. Over the past week I’ve sort of half-heartedly considered doing that myself, but mostly I’m just wallowing in grief, unable to decide what to do.

I didn't say I didn't need Lightroom for file management, only that I didn't need a more "complex" or capable file management system as it relates to comparisons with Aperture.

As for image editing, even if I did own Photoshop I would still use Lightroom's implementation of ACR because I think the UI is so much better. The UI of ACR is crude in comparison. It is designed to get you out of ACR and into the Photoshop environment asap whereas the UI of Lightroom is designed to allow you to do most of your image editing in Lightroom with much better layout and the extra tools and functionality necessary.

Mark I know you like the UI of ACR but you have to admit that Lightroom is designed to allow most images to be completed within it.

Outside of the raw conversion in SPP, and sharpening, all my digital camera image editing is done in Lightroom. To be fair to SPP the images are fairly complete already. For my film scans, outside of tending to some bizarre color I get from some films, noise/grain reduction and sharpening, all my editing is done in Lightroom.

To me Camera Raw seems not crude but matter-of-fact and utilitarian, and simpler in that it lacks modes, blinking rollover effects, bevels, and those half a dozen shades of gray and black. I wouldn’t say I like it, though. I just like it better cosmetically than Lightroom which has always looked and felt sort of like like hastily assembled Flash app to me. A bit screwy and over the top. Camera Raw seems more honest, I guess. On the other hand, it requires Photoshop to run, so screw it.

Cosmetics, so long as they don't affect core functionality and ease of use, don't bother me. The fact that all tools in Lightroom are immediately available, including most of their adjustments is a big plus for me over the basic layout of ACR. I hate having to click more than I have to to get to a tool or to adjust it. Plus, Lightroom has more tools than just ACR alone allowing most people to do all their editing in Lightroom.

And anyway, I’m really pretty soured on this category of app, regardless of the vendor. I just haven’t figured out a good way forward.

Have you given Lightroom an honest try by working beyond the things you don't like and say also diving into Adobe's excellent video tutorials? I didn't like it at first either. It may not be perfect for you but it may be the best option going forward. There are just too many variables in software to be able to please everyone. Thankfully, for me, Lightroom is the closest I have ever come to the perfect photo editing app. Who knows, in a future version they'll probably screw up.

It's a shame how Apple has handled the development of Aperture because Apple is obviously capable of designing software as good as anyone else, and often better in many cases, despite their usual habit of doing some things that even in their best apps make you go, "what the hell?" I've had a few "what the hell" moments with iOS, for example.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow